Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish Religious Education Program is dedicated to the teaching ministry of the Roman Catholic Church. It is committed to programs which foster the spiritual growth of the children and their families to best serve the needs of the church community.
Goals and Objectives
- To teach the Catholic faith as it flows through every area of life.
- To be an example of gospel values in developing respect for individual differences.
- To promote moral and religious traditions in order to teach values through doctrine.
- To develop Christian love and respect for all people.
- To provide opportunities for community prayer and encourage individual prayer.
- To involve parents, catechists, and the parish community in the Catholic religious formation of our children.
Parents and the PREP Program
Catechists supplement, in a more formal way, the education in faith that occurs informally in the home. It is important for parents and catechists to support and encourage each other. It is asked that parents of children and youth in our program be supportive of our religious education program in the following ways:
- Attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days, receive the Sacraments and read the Bible, frequently. Your example speaks louder than words.
- Teach your child to pray in their own words as well as to learn the traditional prayers of our faith.
- Show an interest in what is happening in class each week and check the PREP folder with your child.
- Help your child be conscientious about any assignments given to them.
- Join your child in participating in service opportunities offered in his/her grade.
Throughout the various PREP levels, parents are asked to help their child learn:
Preschool and Kindergarten
Sign of the Cross
Story of Creation
Sign of the Cross
Grace Before and After Meals
Simple Morning Offering
Act of Contrition
Lord Have Mercy (Mass)
Other Basic Mass Responses
Levels 4 through 6
Queen of Heaven
Prayers at Mass
Hail Holy Queen
Acts of Faith, Hope and Love
Come Holy Spirit
Review all of the above, plus: